Methylsulfonylmethane: Applications and Safety of a Novel Dietary Supplement
Rejected Man
2017-04-27 06:38:43 UTC
This is great stuff. It completely suppresses my seasonal allergies and prevents muscle soreness after vigorous exercise. It also looks like slow or stops cancer to some extent or another.

Full paper is not behind a paywall.

1. Nutrients. 2017 Mar 16;9(3). pii: E290. doi: 10.3390/nu9030290.

Methylsulfonylmethane: Applications and Safety of a Novel Dietary Supplement.

Butawan M(1), Benjamin RL(2), Bloomer RJ(3).

Author information:
((snip)

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) has become a popular dietary supplement used for a
variety of purposes, including its most common use as an anti-inflammatory agent.
It has been well-investigated in animal models, as well as in human clinical
trials and experiments. A variety of health-specific outcome measures are
improved with MSM supplementation, including inflammation, joint/muscle pain,
oxidative stress, and antioxidant capacity. Initial evidence is available
regarding the dose of MSM needed to provide benefit, although additional work is
underway to determine the precise dose and time course of treatment needed to
provide optimal benefits. As a Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) approved
substance, MSM is well-tolerated by most individuals at dosages of up to four
grams daily, with few known and mild side effects. This review provides an
overview of MSM, with details regarding its common uses and applications as a
dietary supplement, as well as its safety for consumption.

DOI: 10.3390/nu9030290
PMCID: PMC5372953
PMID: 28300758
Taka
2017-04-27 08:00:29 UTC
Post by Rejected Man
This is great stuff. It completely suppresses my seasonal allergies and prevents muscle soreness after vigorous exercise.
If yo not competing, the soreness is needed - no pain means no gain!
PMID: 28300758
d***@gmail.com
2017-04-29 00:33:05 UTC
Taka intones: "If yo not competing, the soreness is needed - no pain means no gain!"

That is just an old coaches myth. I get good gains without muscle soreness. Currently, I am at the 7 minute mile in the seventh decade of my run ;-) The winter was too nasty to run this year so this is only a month in at most.
moviePig
2017-04-29 13:45:48 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Taka intones: "If yo not competing, the soreness is needed - no pain means no gain!"
That is just an old coaches myth. I get good gains without muscle soreness. Currently, I am at the 7 minute mile in the seventh decade of my run ;-) The winter was too nasty to run this year so this is only a month in at most.
Hats off to you. But I've always taken "pain/gain" to refer to
strength-building (e.g., weights) rather than to endurance-...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Taka
2017-04-29 14:44:08 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by d***@gmail.com
Taka intones: "If yo not competing, the soreness is needed - no pain means no gain!"
That is just an old coaches myth. I get good gains without muscle soreness. Currently, I am at the 7 minute mile in the seventh decade of my run ;-) The winter was too nasty to run this year so this is only a month in at most.
Hats off to you. But I've always taken "pain/gain" to refer to
strength-building (e.g., weights) rather than to endurance-...
--
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
It's the biggest idiocy to take antioxidants when doing exercise for training.... That being said, a big hit in Jap Gyms is now the molecular hydrogen water which is a hydroxyl radical scavenger. It's an intriguing question, which ROS are actually beneficial during the exercise, e.g. just superoxide or H2O2 is enough or even the "biggest threat" the bad hydroxyl radical is also needed to induce the adaptive pathways??